Hand washing is one of the cheapest health promotion behaviors and according to the global hygiene council you should wash your hands at least more than six times in a day.
Many of us do not wash our hands before eating especially when we are outside the comfort of our homes, Hand washing is the most basic and cost effective health measure for preventing food borne diseases, such as diarrhea, and respiratory infections such as, influenza, all you need is a running tap and soap.
We are in an era where a lot of diseases are emerging or rather there is an increase in occurrence of these diseases than in the past for example the incidence of Ebola Lassa fever and most recently cholera outbreak in west africa, and some other parts ot the world.
These emerging diseases calls for affordable and cost effective means of illness prevention.
WHEN SHOULD YOU WASH YOUR HANDS?
- Before eating any food, especially those eaten with hands e.g. chips, fruits etc.
- After using the rest room: ladies even if you only used the rest room to adjust your make up, wash your hands before leaving the ladies.
- After handling raw meat, fish or poultry.
- After changing a baby’s diaper.
- Wash your hands or use a hand antiseptic before and after tending to a sick person.
HOW TO WASH YOUR HANDS
- Lather and rub hands quite vigorously.
- Wash both palms and outer hands.
- Count at least 20 seconds before rinsing.
- Dry hands on clean towel or paper towel.
ALCOHOL HAND RUBS HOW USEFUL ARE THEY?
If you are always on the go, there might not be water or soap for you to carry out hand washing before eating but you can use alcohol hand rubs or hand sanitizers as they are often called. They are quiet handy and are as effective as hand washing.
Some of us fancy road side foods( Hot dogs ,suya, Roasted plantain, boiled corn etc.) after purchasing these foods using hand sanitizer before eating them prevents us from transfering germs and microbes from our hands to the food thus preventing infection and saves us time, money and trips to the hospital.
.You can reach us on
Source: How often should you wash your Hands?